0121 777 7864
JR Jones Solicitors Birmingham
solicitors Birmingham

Failure to Stop and Report an Accident

The offences of Failure to Stop and Failure to Report an Accident are serious and can attract up to ten penalty points as well as disqualification from contact usdriving. They can also attract a fine of up to £5000 and in serious cases, possible imprisonment of up to 6 months.

Due to seriousness of these offences you will require a solicitor with the specialist knowledge needed to effectively represent you in Court. We are specialists in dealing with motoring offences and we can offer you the best advice and representation available.

Failure to Stop

This offence is committed when an accident involving a vehicle has occurred and the owner of the vehicle fails to stop at the scene, and when he or she is required to do so, does not exchange or provide their details.

The driver of the vehicle need only stop if they knows or should have known that a road traffic accident has taken place. In some cases it may be possible that the driver was unaware that an accident had taken place, and this could be used as a possible defence against the charges.

Failure to Report an Accident

The offence of Failure to report an accident happens when a driver does not report the accident within 24 hours to the Police.

This requirement only exists if the motorist did not stop at the time and exchange relevant details with the other motorist involved in the accident.

Reporting an accident to the Police must be done in person and cannot be done by telephone.

Do I require a solicitor for a motoring offence?

Some people choose to represent themselves in Court to try and save money on legal fees. This is almost always a mistake. The Courts have heard every excuse that exists for motoring offences and will not be impressed by someone with little or no understanding of the law trying to defend themselves.

A specialist motoring offences solicitor with knowledge and experience of the law will offer you the best chance of achieving a favourable outcome in your case.

Contact us to speak to one of our solicitors who will assess your case and advise you on a possible defence.